Sunday, June 30, 2013

Chickens and yard sales


This week has been busy, we (my mom, my sister, my grandma and I) decided we should have a yard sale. It was fun and we did make some money. Advertising it on facebook groups was so much smarter then putting it in the paper. I do not think anyone looks for them in the newspaper anymore. It was very nice getting to spend so much time with them but I am glad it is over. It was alot of work, cleaning out the storage locker was the hardest and hottest work and I am so glad to get all of my junk out of there but I did learn that if you are just stuffing something into a storage locker then you do not need it. Friday was our busiest day, people were still coming after we were closed but we did not turn anyone away. My grandma was the biggest money maker and I am very happy about that. It made her day. After the sale was over we took the rest of the stuff to the salvation army, hopefully someone who can use it will see it and then it will all be put to good use. I am very glad this morning to have everything back to normal. My poor Nellie girl hadn't been milked in 2 days so she was happy this morning to get our quality time and some feed. Do not worry though, she has babies on her still so she was not suffering except maybe at night because she did not get to enjoy her peaceful time that every mom enjoys while being away from their kids and getting some me time because since I was not milking her I had no need to put them in their stall at night.

Here are our newest additions to our farm. 25 jumbo cornish rock crosses. They are a big meat bird and will be old enough to process at around 8 weeks. The little black one is a free rare breed bird that you get when you order. It is a golden laced wyandotte. If it is a hen I will keep her and raise her with my silver laced wyandottes that I already own. They are really cute at this age but they also can really stink. We planned on having 100 chickens this year to process for our freezer but with the animal attacks that were going on we are a few short of where we wanted to be right now. Hopefully by the end of the year we will be close to what we wanted.

Time to get ready for church, have a blessed Sunday everyone!!

~April

No comments:

Post a Comment