Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I made some dandelion jelly last week and I decided to wait until I tasted it to post about it because I want to make sure something tastes good before I tell you about it. I opened one of the jars yesterday and put some on toast and it tastes great! Lots of people told me that it tastes sweet like honey. It does taste very sweet (which is one reason I like it so much) but it does not taste like honey. It does taste very good though. I got the recipe from my favorite homesteading book, "The Encyclopedia of Country Living". This is my go to book for everything.



                                 Here is the recipe for the dandelion jelly.


Pick 1 quart of blossoms in the morning. Hold each flower by its calyx (the green base) and snip off the golden blossoms with scissors into your saucepan. Discard calyx. Boil blossoms in 1 quart of water for 3 minutes. Drain off 3 cups of liquid. Add 1 package (1 3/4 ounces) powdered pectin and 2 tablespoons lemon juice to the liquid. When it comes to a rolling boil, add 4 1/2 cups sugar, you can also add a few drops of yellow food coloring at this point if you choose to. Boil about 3 minutes or until it reaches the jelly stage.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have.

Have a wonderful and blessed day!
~April


No comments:

Post a Comment