Tuesday, March 4, 2014

What do you mean I cannot have chocolate?!

I found out a few months ago that due to some bladder issues I can no longer have caffeine. This was quite an adjustment for me. I did not realize how much caffeine I was consuming until I could not have any, even the smallest amount of caffeine causes me problems so I was on a new adventure to find things to replace some of the things I was having to give up. At first it was very difficult, good golly I was drinking a cup of coffee with chocolate creamer every morning and sometimes in the afternoon also and guess what Chocolate has caffeine in it! Aaaack! How was I going to give up chocolate. Chocolate is a girls best friend for Pete's sake. I felt like I was losing a friend but then I gathered myself and went on a journey to find other delicious items I can enjoy and tonight I am sharing some of the things I have found with you. I am also going to share a great recipe with you of one of my favorite cakes.

1.  Every Sunday morning I enjoy a white hot chocolate. At first it was a nice treat that tasted good but I still wanted my coffee but now I do not crave coffee anymore and I really look forward to this once a week treat.

2. Bengal Spice tea from Celestial Seasonings, this tea is awesome! It is the perfect blend of cinnamon, ginger, cardomom and cloves. Add some sweetener and milk and it is so close to tasting like Chai tea. I also love ginger tea with cinnamon and honey and honey, vanilla chamomile tea. 

3. I also enjoy a white chocolate Lindor truffle once in awhile as a special treat.

4. Water. Good ole H2O, I drink lots and lots of water. It is so much better for me and I am really feeling alot better.

5. Last but not least, one of my favorite all time cakes is a banana cake with cream cheese icing that my friend Cheryl Mitchell shared with me. Below is a picture she shared with me of a cake she made and the recipe. Thank you Cheryl for sharing! I hope you all enjoy.

Blessings!! ~April


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups over-ripe bananas, mashed (I used 5 bananas because I love them!)

2 teaspoons lemon juice

3 cups flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter, softened

2 1/8 cups sugar

3 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or sub 2 tsp white vinegar added to 1 1/2 cups whole milk, set aside)



Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar



Garnish

chopped walnuts



Directions

    Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
    Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.
    In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
    In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
    In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
    Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
    Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
    Stir in banana mixture.
    Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (it took 1 1/2 hours in my oven so keep checking it).
    For the frosting: cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
    Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
    Add confectioner's sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
    Spread on cooled cake.
    Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top, if desired.






No comments:

Post a Comment