Monday, February 4, 2013


One of the things I want to be able to do on this journey to a more simple, self sufficient life is to start making my own products and this weekend I decided to start making my own soap. It ended up being fun and not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I used a very simple recipe. It includes 4 cups lard (I didnt have lard so I used solid vegetable shortening but I plan to make it with lard next time because that is something you can make), 4 oz lye and 1 1/2 cups goat milk (frozen). I made vanilla on Saturday and Rose scented on Sunday. The vanilla turned out wonderful but the rose didnt turn out so well. The rose scented soap started to harden before I got it into the molds and was a mess. I did get it into the molds but I do not think it will turn out as nice as the vanilla. The picture above is of the vanilla soap in the mold before I took it out and cut it into bars.
This is a picture of the vanilla bars after I took them out of the molds and cut them into bars. Now they will sit for 4 weeks before I will use them. I cannot wait to try them, they smell wonderful and goatmilk soap is supposed to be very good for the skin.
Another great thing that happened this weekend is that we are beginning to get more eggs from the chickens. They dont lay as well in the wintertime and we were usually getting no eggs and would be happy when I found 1 but now we are getting 4 or 5 a day. I consider that to be a good sign that spring is coming! Hooray!!

No comments:

Post a Comment